Always bet on Ros
Any politically-aware media addict Americans out there looking for a high-profile gig in journalism? This is it, my friends. Expect to work like a dog, and party like one too, when you drop the name Mediaite.
Mediaite is looking for an ambitious, energetic, newshound to cover the names, the brands, the gossip, the digerati of news, politics, and entertainment. This person will be one of our reporters and opinion writers.
You’ll be responsible for writing news stories using any and all of the tools of digital storytelling: Words, video, pictures, social interactions, book excerpts, you name it. In addition, for this position, you will be responsible for tapping into conservative media to see what is trending among right-leaning thinkers, and add your own thoughts via regular opinion pieces.
If you think you have what it takes and want to impact the news cycle then we want to talk to you.
- For this specific position, a conservative or right-leaning political bent is a major plus. We are looking for someone to be the counterpoint for our liberal opinion columnist.
- You should have a clear, concise, and in-depth knowledge of the world of news, politics and media, including online personalities, major cable and broadcast networks, leading columnists, and general thought-leaders.
- You should thrive under pressure, and excel when stress levels are at their highest.
- You should want to break news.
- You should have a clear understanding of how Twitter, user-generated content, and viral videos are shaping the news cycle.
- You should have strong news judgment and an eye for underreported content. Can you find the nugget of interest that no one else has discovered?
- You should have the ability to write an “objective” news article at one moment, and transition into writing an opinionated column the next.
The ability to work out of our New York offices is preferable, though a Washington, D.C. location would not be terrible (or would it?).
Send us an email (email@example.com) with your resume and cover letter explaining why you’re suited for the position. Please include links to articles you’ve written and edited.
Mediaite is the site for news, information and smart opinions about online, broadcast and print media and entertainment, offering original and immediate assessments of the latest news as it breaks.
I fucking love science!
Do you, too, fucking love science? Do you fucking love writing and editing too? If so, you’re gonna fucking love this job opportunity: a paid internship at I Fucking Love Science, one of the internet’s top science sites.
Compensation: 2,000 USD per month for the duration of the internship.
Internship duration: 3 months. Possibility of permanent position for the right candidate.
Desirable skills: Strong interest in science, social media and writing. Excellent writing skills and basic image manipulation/editing skills a bonus.
Qualifications and experience: Degree required, ideally in science or writing. Professional experience not necessary but any experience in writing, blogging or social media would be beneficial.
Hours: 37 hours per week, flexible. Must be able to work some weekend and evenings.
Location: This position is remote. International applicants welcome.
Start date: Flexible throughout June.
How to apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, names of three references and two writing samples in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Monday June 2nd 2014. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Experience what it’s like to be part of an editorial team that cover the scientific and technological issues that shape our world.
IFLScience.com is one of the fastest growing science websites on the Internet. We cover all fields of science for a general readership and we are now accepting applications for a science writer intern.
This is a paid Internship and you are expected to work full-time from your home office (minimum of 37 hours per week) under the guidance of IFLScience editors and writers. The IFLScience writers showcase the most unique, interesting and fascinating science related content and photos from the world’s leading universities and research organizations in a fresh, humorous, and informative way.
As an intern you will be responsible for editing and proof reading articles, monitoring social media channels, basic image manipulation/editing and assisting the writers in other ways. You will be given the opportunity to write for the website and generate your own story ideas.
The internship is intended for people planning careers in science writing with the opportunity of moving into a staff writing position on IFLScience.
Preference is given to people completing an advanced degree in journalism or science.
– See more at: http://www.iflscience.com/paid-internship-opportunity-iflscience#sthash.VsqANZgD.8LzP3ApL.dpuf
Librarians are cool. Are YOU gonna tell her different?
Got this from a friend via Facebook. Temporary (to cover mat leave) full time:
Children’s and Family Literacy Librarian
The Greater Victoria Public Library (GVPL) is an innovative library system with one of the highest per capita usage rates in Canada. Our Vision is to inspire literacy, lifelong learning and community enrichment for all. Serving 315,000 residents in the Greater Victoria area, we provide library service to 10 municipalities. We are currently seeking a temporary, full-time Children’s and Family Literacy Librarian to fill a maternity leave position which we anticipate will conclude in April 2015.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic, enthusiastic, creative and flexible individual with exemplary leadership, programming/outreach and customer service skills. The main duties will be related to service to children, families and teens. GVPL is currently undergoing extensive restructuring and review of service delivery. The successful candidate will be flexible about how their duties will evolve as a result of ongoing improvements and role adjustments.
Highlights of requirements:
• Proven programming and outreach skills;
• Proven ability to develop and maintain community partnerships;
• Project management skills;
• Proven leadership and advocacy skills;
• Strong commitment to customer service;
• Knowledge of current trends and best practices in public library services;
• Superior time management and organizational skills;
• Superior written and verbal communication;
• Innovative and flexible;
• Technologically nimble;
• Fosters enthusiasm and teamwork among staff and colleagues.
Required Education and Experience:
• MLS or MLIS from an accredited academic institution;
• Previous library experience in a public services capacity.
For more details: Children’s and Family Literacy Librarian Job Description (PDF)
This is a Union position, with an hourly pay rate of $33.15 – $36.49 plus 13% in lieu of benefits.
Applicants will be required to prepare a written and/or oral assignment.
To apply: Send your résumé and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com outlining how your qualifications, skills, abilities and professional goals match the requirements of the position and GVPL values.
Review of applications begins Monday, May 26, 2014. Potentially start date is early June, 2014; however the competition will remain open until we find the right candidate.
Rogue alcoholic court reporter kept writing ‘I hate my job’
You think YOUR job sucks?
Well, what would YOU do?
If my job was to pay attention to contentious court cases all day…well, actually that IS my job…but I can’t afford to be an alcoholic, so I guess I won’t be That Guy.
Daniel Kochanski, a New York court reporter, apparently deliberately screwed up some 30 transcripts and court documents. According to the New York Post, ” in a scene right out of 1980’s “The Shining,” where Jack Nicholson’s off-the-rails writer repeatedly types “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,” a source said of Kochanski: “He hit random keys or wrote, ‘I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job,’ over and over.”
He was fired, of course, although it took the court system two years to find this stuff out. How many lawyers are buying transcripts and then just filing them away, never to be looked at again, or even in the first place?
Kochanski claims he was fired for substance abuse, and that he was driven to drink by the horrors of his work life, although the court system says it was for this unique form of transcript abuse, which was a result of his alcoholism.
He also maintains that even though “I hate my job” may not have been spoken in court, he “never typed gibberish.” But let the record show…oh, wait…
Christmas in Victoria
Ignore the obvious copy-paste error in the first line unless you are a copy editor or Quality Assurance Coordinator, in which case you may wish to pitch them. This job is in Victoria, not something that can be done remotely.
Sales and Marketing Manager
We are currently looking for a Quality Assurance Coordinator for our Downtown Victoria office. We offer an attractive compensation package, including:
- Competitive wage
- Full training including job shadowing, ongoing job training, and cross training
- Extended medical and dental benefits
- Group RRSP with matching contributions
- Excellent opportunities for career development
The Manager of Sales & Marketing is responsible for developing a team of highly productive Publishing Consultants and Marketing Specialists who are able to meet and exceed revenue targets while promptly and professionally addressing the needs of customers. The Manager of Sales & Marketing is also required to generate and deliver sales initiatives, revenue growth and staff and client retention strategies. The Manager is further required to coach and mentor the Publishing Consultant team through motivation, leadership and encouragement while striving for exceptional customer service standards and accountability.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, direct and evaluate the operations of the Publishing Consultants team;
- Develop, implement and monitor detailed sales strategies and objectives;
- Ensure the provision of excellent customer service;
- Maintain high levels of customer satisfaction and client retention levels;
- Contribute to the development, mplementation and execution FriesenPress’ business plans;
- Build and retain an effective team of Publishing Consultants with a strong positive culture;
- Lead, coach and motivate the team to achieve sales goals;
- Model and champion FriesenPress values and mission;
- Attain revenue expectations;
- Generate an annual sales and marketing strategic plan with specific and measurable tactics
- Set sales expectations for each of FriesenPress’ Publishing Consultants including customer service expectations and quota achievement;
- Manage the activities of Publishing Consultants and Marketing Specialists, measure their success and coach for constant improvement;
- Resolve customer concerns and complaints in a courteous, professional manner;
- Determine staffing requirements and oversee the hiring of staff;
- Create a safe working environment for the discussion and resolution of issues and concerns;
- Work in concert with other department and management team members to assure sales operations;
- Complete various sales reports as necessary;
- Conduct regular performance evaluations with each of your direct reports;
- Ensure the product portfolio evolves to respond to changing market conditions, customer needs as well as supporting FriesenPress’ goals and vision
- Oversee the planning and implementation of various marketing activities
- Find new ways to generate business opportunities for FriesenPress through advertising, sponsorships and partnerships
- Actively oversee the Google Adwords performance to full optimize
- Ensure that all staff comply with Company policies, procedures and ethical standards;
- Ensure compliance with FriesenPress standards for cost control, waste reduction, qualilty, safety and on-time delivery;
- Provide leadership for employee relations through effective communications, coaching, training and development;
- Other duties shall be assigned as required.
- University degree in associated field;
- Minimum 5 years Sales and Marketing experience with a track record of proven results;
- Leadership experience with an emphasis on coaching for high performance, business planning, business process engineering and business development;
- Strong attention to detail, capacity to learn and accept additional responsibilities;
- A personal philosophy that embraces constant learning and solicitation of feedback from your manager, peers, employees, stakeholders and customers that promotes personal development;
- A desire to foster a company culture that values honesty, open communication, performance excellence, collaboration, innovation and constant learning.
- Exceptional presentation and writing skills and ability to convey a message that is clear, concise and relevant, linking business issues, financial results and strategy;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize workload to meet deadlines;
- Highly proficient with PC business software including CRM, Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.
- Demonstrated experience with Zoho systems would be an asset;
- Prior book publishing knowledge would be an asset.
This role will have minimal travel requirements and is based out of our office in Downtown Victoria, B.C. If you meet the above criteria and would like to apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume. We look forward to hearing from you!