Here’s a juicy job opportunity in the world of do-goodery, a field which I know appeals to Shebeen Club members. Found it on Twitter.
Position: Director, Communications
Organization: Small Change Fund http://smallchangefund.org/
Location: Toronto, Ontario or Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
Small Change Fund empowers Canadians to make big change with small change. Athttp://smallchangefund.org/, we provide a place for people to discover, share, connect with, and support amazing grassroots projects in communities across the country.
Small Change Fund is a young and rapidly evolving organization searching for our first Director of Communications. As our Director of Communications you will have the chance to shape the future of an award-winning organization, and have an impact on all of the grassroots projects we support.
Your journalistic ability will enable you to draw out the stories behind the grassroots projects supported by Small Change Fund, and your skills in marketing will allow you to reach and engage sponsors and donors in supporting these important local efforts to enhance environmental sustainability and social justice.
Your aptitude for multi-tasking will allow you to transition between strategic and operational efforts in a fast-paced environment, while keeping an eye on detail. You excel in using social media for social good and your established network of media contacts support these efforts.
Your energy, enthusiasm and creativity lend well to Small Change Fund’s team, who believe that flexibility, an enterprising spirit, and positive outlook contribute to enabling us to consistently innovate in the area of grassroots giving.
The overarching goals of this position are to:
1. Build and reinforce Small Change Fund’s corporate identity/brand (visual, language) among target audiences
2. Engage target audiences in supporting the projects featured on smallchangefund.org
3. Build new and repeat traffic on smallchangefund.org, and work with staff team to ensure an innovative, unique and authentic experience for donors
Key Responsibilities include:
* Together with the Board Communications Committee, external advisors and staff, develop and execute a strategy using communications, marketing and public engagement standards and practices that reflect SCF’s mission and values.
* Develop a value proposition and key messages to communicate our core brand identity, and work closely with SCF team to ensure messaging is consistent with overall communications, marketing and public engagement objectives
* Provide strategy, content oversight, and creative management to SCF team, including working with consulting writers, designers, and programmers.
* In collaboration with the Program Team, write, create and assist in the dissemination of materials to attract high quality projects to smallchangefund.org
* Continually improve the presentation of projects on smallchangefund.org, including creating tools for donors to explore projects (i.e. video), and developing compelling language
* Working with the Program Team, create strategies and tools that encourage project leaders to tap into their networks, help them share their stories and report on their activities
* Focusing on pipeline and prospect development, and working across related areas, calendar, develop, and drive campaigns to targeted audiences to encourage engagement and philanthropy
* With support from the Program team, lead the creation of a donor centered experience that is creative and effective in maintaining existing and attracting new donors
* Manage media relations, research editorial opportunities and build relationships with key industry media.
* Leverage social networks to build affinities with potential partners, sponsors or issue positions
* Together with the President, Executive Director and Program team, lead the development of community or issue specific funds (e.g. indigenous people’s fund, climate change fund) that may be of particular interest to donors
* Monitor trends in social media tools and applications and appropriately apply that knowledge to increasing the use of social media at Small Change Fund
* Monitor social networks for potential threats or opportunities
* Measure the impact of social media on the overall marketing efforts
* Plan and administer budgets for communications/marketing for the organization
* Provide monthly reporting to executive team.
The successful candidate will have:
* A diploma or degree in communications, marketing, journalism or related area
* Minimum of five years of experience
* Demonstrated interest in the public sector
Interested candidates may send their resume and expression of interest, including links to online writing, blogs, articles, twitter feeds (in both attachment and copied into the body of an email) to info(at) smallchangefund.org* by March 15, 2011.