Yes, ladies and gentlemen and the undecided, The Vancouver Farmers’ Markets are hiring an ecoflack and professional outreacher (treehuggers presumably encouraged) to reach out and touch someone, in fact many people, on their behalf. The Vancouver Farmers’ Markets are an award-winning and high-profile association of markets dedicated to supporting sustainability in food as well as promoting the great bounty of local BC farmers and associated producers. Here are the full details, heartlessly stolen from their website.
Public Relations & Membership Development Coordinator
Vancouver Farmers Markets
Are you a “People Person”? Are you great at generating public and media
enthusiasm, interest & support for worthwhile initiatives? The Vancouver
Farmers Markets (VFM) operate 4 busy neighborhood farmers markets in
Vancouver, which see about 12 000 people each week on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays from May
– October. VFM’s Winter Farmers Market operates twice a month at a single location from November –
April. Coordinated by a small staff team from a central office, the award-winning Vancouver Farmers
Markets are ranked among the top farmers markets in Canada.
VFM is hiring a Public Relations & Membership Development Coordinator to advance our goals to inform
and engage the public, volunteers and donors in the growth and development of our city’s farmers markets.
This is a permanent, part-time salaried, core-staff position with strong potential for expansion in the future.
This position requires some availability for weekend and evening work throughout the year.
The PR Coordinator will work with the VFM staff team & will develop the following three key areas of public
• Public Relations/Communications – including creation of an annual communications plan, website
management, writing & sending press releases, media contact management & development, off-site
community outreach & public engagement events
• Membership Services Development – including membership sales & coordinating sales team,
renewal processing, membership newsletter & communications, membership database
management, development & implementation of annual direct mail campaign
• Volunteer Development – maintain and develop volunteer program, train & schedule volunteers to
be an enthusiastic team of VFM ambassadors at VFM markets, special events on site and around
Required Skills, Experience & Disposition:
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience in/demonstrating:
- – public relations, media & public communications development & implementation
- – membership and/or constituency development including fundraising/direct mail outreach
- – website, social marketing & newsletter development
- – volunteer coordination & development; staff team management
- – excellent communications skills (written, spoken, phone, internet, in-person)
- – creativity & maximization of limited budget and human resources
- – excellence in approaching the public, asking for and building public support, motivating people to
- contribute time/money
- – high-level organization skills, detail-oriented
- – excellence in data and list management; comfort with Mac computers
- – excellence in program planning and implementation skills
- – taking initiative AND working as part of a team
Voted “Top Non-Profit for 2010” by the readers of Edible Vancouver magazine, the Vancouver Farmers
Markets is a busy, professional, creative, team-oriented work environment offering competitive wages and
Position open until filled. Email your resume and cover letter indicating your relevant experience
with “PR & Membership Coordinator position” in the subject line to: tara AT eatlocal DOT org. Vancouver
Farmers Markets thanks all interested applicants, but only applicants chosen for an interview will be
YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT. PREPARE TO MEET YOUR MAKER.
Farmers Markets, Vancouver, B.C.
East Vancouver. West End. Main St. Station. Kitsilano. Holiday Market. Winter Market.